James C. Harrison Bringing Up Demons Framed Drawing
Framed drawing on paper by James C. Harrison (1925 - 1990) titled "Bring Up Demons". Signed and dated 9-14-88 by the ...
moreFramed drawing on paper by James C. Harrison (1925 - 1990) titled "Bring Up Demons". Signed and dated 9-14-88 by the artist. Abstract and figurative drawing in white chalk, oil pastel and pencil on black paper. Float mounted and framed in a black gallery frame.
Measures: 32.5" W x 46.5" H.
James C. Harrison was born November 27th, 1925 in Detroit. Although largely self-taught, Harrison studied briefly at Cranbrook Academy of Art and Olivet College before moving to New York City in 1950. By the mid-1950's he had devised a style of portraiture that incorporated the seemingly random scribbles of surrealist automatism drawing. Drawing was largely the basis of Harrison’s art. He called his work “painting - drawing". In the 1970's and 80's, James Harrison produced a remarkable body of densely worked, visionary paintings and drawings that have lately acquired cult following. Prolonged study of Harrison's work might reveal a coherent system of symbols and cosmic psychology underwriting Harrison's art. What is more immediately compelling is the tension between recognizable mystical imagery and painterly obfuscation, which might be read as a metaphor for the artist's struggle to transcend his own psychic chaos. Participating in several group exhibitions, Harrison had his first one-man exhibition at A Place Apart Gallery in Brooklyn in 1983. In 1987 at the age of 58, the Ledisflam Gallery in SoHo, New York mounted a 40-year retrospective of his work. James C. Harrison was a protégé of Cy Twombly and Robert Rauschenberg and was influenced by artist such as Jean Michel Basquiat, Philip Guston and Willem de Kooning. Harrison died on November 10th, 1990.
Designer: James C. Harrison (1925 - 1990)
USA - Circa 1988
Dimensions: 46.5" H x 32.5" W x 1.5" D
Condition: Excellent. Wear to the original black painted gallery frame. less
- 32.5ʺW × 1.5ʺD × 46.5ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
VERN + VERA in Chicago, IL
- Super Seller 2018
VERN + VERA is a discerning collection of fine vintage furnishings and accessories primarily from the ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Angel Drawings
- Animal Drawings
- Beach Drawings
- Bird Drawings
- Black and White Drawings
- Boy Drawings
- Bpat Drawings
- Car Drawings
- Cartoon Drawings
- Cat Drawings
- Charcoal Drawings
- Dog Drawings
- Drawings of People
- Elephant Drawings
- Eye Drawings
- Face Drawings
- Flower Drawings
- Forest Drawings
- Girl Drawings
- Horse Drawings
- Ink Drawings
- Landscape Drawings
- Line Drawings
- Mountain Drawings
- Music Drawings
- Pencil Drawings
- Realistic Drawings
- Tree Drawings
- Woman Drawings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.