Vintage Grand Central Terminal Koken Barber Chair
This product is no longer available.
The Origin of the Chair
Antique collectors love Koken barber chairs due to their remarkable style and superior quality. They ... moreThe Origin of the Chair
Antique collectors love Koken barber chairs due to their remarkable style and superior quality. They were state-of-the-art in their day, being the first to feature a hydraulic lift for easy handling. The technology combined with the beautiful curved lines, decorative features and beautiful white porcelain pedestal makes it a beautiful piece for every collector.
The Grand Central Terminal is a landmark in New York City. J.P. Carey, a barber, arrived in New York in the early 1900s and opened a barbershop at Grand Central Terminal. E ventually had 50 barbers working for him. Over the years he expanded his Grand Central operations to include a laundry, shoe store, and haberdashery, before opening the limo service. In the 70s, I worked in public relations for the railroad. When they closed the barber shop, the company sold the chairs and all equipment. I bought several chairs and a Toledo “lollipop” scale. I have an accompanying newspaper article that documents the chairs and barber shop. less
- 26ʺW × 42ʺD × 48ʺH
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Excellent Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Seat Height
- 36.0 inches
Bob B. in Libertyville, IL
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Accent Chairs for Living Room
- Accent Chairs with Arms
- Animal Print Accent Chairs
- Armless Accent Chairs
- Bedroom Accent Chairs
- Black and White Accent Chairs
- Blue and White Accent Chairs
- Ceramic Side Chairs
- Cow Hide Accent Chairs
- Floral Accent Chairs
- Green Side Chairs
- High Back Accent Chairs
- Metal Side Chairs
- Paris Accent Chairs
- Patterned Accent Chairs
- Porcelain Side Chairs
- Reclining Accent Chairs
- Round Accent Chairs
- Silver Side Chairs
- Small Accent Chairs
- Striped Accent Chairs
- Studded Accent Chairs
- Swivel Accent Chairs
- Tufted Accent Chairs
- Unique Accent Chairs
- Upholstered Accent Chairs
- Upholstery Side Chairs
- Vintage Accent Chairs
- White Side Chairs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.