Transform your used and vintage furniture, decor, jewelry and fashion accessories into cold, hard cash. Chairish makes selling easy as pie. We take care of all the pesky logistics of payments and shipping. You can sell items on Chairish from anywhere in the continental United States.Start Selling Now
Jump to a topic:
- What types of items does Chairish accept?
- How much does it cost to list?
- How much could I make?
- How do I list an item?
- Who sets the price of an item?
- Tips for item photos?
- What is a "reserve price"?
- How does "Make an Offer" work?
- How long is an item listed?
- How does shipping work?
- How do I delist an item?
- When do I receive my payment?
- What are my responsibilities as a seller?
- How Do Product Questions and Comments Work?
What types of items does Chairish accept?
Chairish is stocked with what our design-oriented buyers want to purchase: exceptional and unique decor and accessories from all eras and styles. Our primary criteria are that pieces are stylish, in good condition and offered at a great value.
Many pieces listed on Chairish are designer, custom, antique, or high-end modern and vintage pieces from the likes of Knoll, Herman-Miller, Christian Liaigre, Ligne Roset, B&B Italia, Chanel, Hermes, YSL, Miriam Haskell, etc. We also love non-branded items with great character.
We currently accept furniture, decor, fashion accessories and jewelry. All items must have a minimum listing price of $75. Due to laws governing the sale of "used" or "secondhand" items, we are unable to accept mattresses, convertible sofas/sofa beds or recliners.
Unfortunately, we don’t accept everything for sale and reserve the right to decline any item or request more information before listing. It may not be a reflection on the piece — we may just have too much of a particular item or style.
How much does it cost to list?
Listing is free and you can delist an item at any time.
How much could I make?
Chairish will pay you up to 80% of the Sale Amount, less any Permitted Deductions and subject to the Shipping and Returns Policy (the resulting amount, “Final Proceeds”).
"Sale Amount" means the sales price for which your item was sold , or the price that we actually received from the buyer. This excludes amounts assessed on the sale (like taxes and duties), shipping and delivery costs paid by the buyer, and transaction fees such as credit card transaction costs, international and bank-wire fees.
"Commission" means 20% of the Sale Amount and the amount paid to Chairish for your use of the Service.
"Permitted Deductions" means any costs we agree to (in writing, email or otherwise), such as additional insurance. These deductions are rare.
Here's an example:
Let's say your item sold for $1,000 and there were no Permitted Deductions or returns. Our Commission would be $200, and we would pay you $800 in Final Proceeds.
Note, if you offered "Free Shipping" and the buyer chose this option, you are responsible for the cost of shipping per the Shipping & Returns Policy.
How do I list an item?
Listing is easy and free! Get started here.
For each listing, you'll provide asking price, measurements, descriptions and photos, and can also talk about your item's materials, history, and more. The more information you can provide to the buyer, the more likely you are to have a successful sale without a return. Include photos that are well-lit, capture all-important angles, and show any damage on the piece.
Chairish will review your item and generally respond within 24 hours to let you know if the item has been accepted. Once a listing is accepted, we try to have it edited, live, and available for sale on Chairish within 5 business days.
Who sets the price of an item?
You set the "asking price," but we may use our data, expertise, and knowledge of the market to suggest a price that will help you move your item more quickly. Whether or not you take our suggestion is up to you.
Most new furniture loses 30 - 70% of its retail value very quickly after purchase. We're here to help you recoup some of that investment, and avoid the traditional 50% commission charged by most consignment shops.
Tips for item photos?
Great pictures will help your item sell. We recommend taking several well-lit shots of all angles and close-ups of any damage or wear and tear.
Please upload original, unaltered images. Photos that have been edited with a watermark or a photo effects filter of any kind are not suitable for publishing on Chairish. Chairish will then typically "white out" the background of the main picture.
Five tips for taking great furniture photos:
- Clear all accessories that are on or around the piece of furniture.
- Turn off the flash! Use natural light, but not direct sunlight.
- Find a simple, uncluttered background.
- Use different angles.
- Include photos of the entire piece as well as key elements, and include any damage.
Three tips for taking great jewelry photos:
- Shoot against a background which contrasts from the piece.
- Try it on! Include at least one photo of the piece being worn. Seeing it on helps a buyer understand size and scale.
- Use your focus! No blurry shots, please.
What is a "reserve price"?
The reserve price is the minimum you are willing to accept for each listing. The reserve price is not displayed to buyers, but when a potential buyer makes an offer, the reserve price determines whether or not the offer will be automatically accepted. Any offers equal to or greater than your reserve price will be automatically accepted. Offers below your reserve price will require your approval.
Here's an example:
- Your listing has an "Asking Price" = $1000
- Your listing has a "Reserve Price" = $900
- Buyer's offer = $899 or less - Seller can either accept, counter or decline the offer
- Buyer's offer = $900 or greater - Offer is automatically accepted and the sale is complete
How does "Make an Offer" work?
All offers are "verified offers". A verified offer is essentially like making the seller an "All Cash! Sell it now!" offer.
For sellers, one of two things will happen when an offer is made:
- If you've set a "reserve price", and the offer is equal to or greater than the reserve price, the offer will automatically be accepted and the sale is complete.
If the offer is below the reserve price you will receive an email with 3 easy choices:
- Accept - Offer is accepted and the deal is done
- Counter - You will be asked to provide the amount that you are willing to accept
- Decline - Offer is declined and the buyer is immediately refunded
How long is an item listed?
Listings are good for as long as the seller has the item available for sale and Chairish feels it should remain active on the site. After 30 days, we may suggest or require that you lower the list price by 10-25% to encourage sale. Experience tells us that if an item does not sell in the first 30 days, the price is likely too high for consumer demand.
Sellers are required to maintain their listings to ensure that all items listed on Chairish remain available for sale. If for any reason an item is no longer available, you must log in to your account and remove the listing immediately.
How does shipping work?
White Glove shipping is always available at the buyer's cost, but there are several shipping options available. Complete details are in our Shipping & Returns Policy.
How do I delist an item?
You may remove your listing at any time prior to a sale of the item. To delist an item, go to the page for your listing, and click the "Edit Listing" button, then click the "Delete Listing" button on the next page.
If you sell your item before the listing period expires, you must immediately remove your listing. If you fail to promptly do so and a sale is made, or the item you sold is not available for the buyer, Chairish reserves the right to bar you from additional listings, discontinue any listings you currently have, and/or require you to pay Chairish the amount of the Commission and any expenses incurred (e.g., cost to send white glove shipper to your home to pick up the item).
When do I receive my payment?
Payments are sent out electronically 1-2 business days after orders close. All payments will be paid in US Dollars only.
To ensure timely receipt of your funds, make sure that your payment information is kept up to date.
An order is considered closed upon expiration of the Return Period. See our Shipping & Returns Policy for details. To protect both buyers and sellers, Chairish collects payments from buyers at the time of sale and holds the proceeds until after confirmation that the item has been picked up or delivered safely to it's new home.
What are my responsibilities as a seller?
- You are solely responsible for all aspects of your listing and item, including providing accurate item information and photos, and adequately storing and maintaining your item. Chairish reserves the right to revise your listing for grammatical errors and minor corrections. You agree to accurately describe each item to the best of your ability.
- You must provide each item in clean, stain-free, dust-free and safe condition, and in desirable condition and quality for resale, with the exception of any condition you have clearly disclosed in writing or per photographs in the listing description.
- Chairish reserves the right at any time to inspect or reject any item as unsuitable for sale at any time.
- If Chairish finds a buyer for the item and you circumvent or go around Chairish in an attempt to avoid payment of the Commission to Chairish, by selling to the buyer developed by Chairish directly, this will be treated as a sale and the Commission will be due and payable to Chairish.
- You covenant, represent and warrant that you have all rights, authority and clearances necessary for Chairish to sell the item on your behalf, and perform your rights and obligations under this TOS.
- You will give Chairish or a buyer any documents necessary to transfer the ownership of the item to the buyer. You are solely responsible for all aspects of dealing with your clients and your business (e.g., paying or getting paid by your design clients, handling logistics between you and your clients, and managing your business), and handling all related inquiries and disputes.
How Do Product Questions and Comments Work?
Chairish shoppers are able to post public questions and comments directly on any item’s page. Those questions and comments are emailed to the seller who can then respond. This direct communication is intended to make buying and selling on Chairish even easier.
To ask a question or leave a comment, shoppers may now click the "Ask A Question" button on any item's page. You must be signed in to your Chairish account to ask a question or post a response. All questions or comments will be emailed to the seller and will be displayed publicly. Sellers can post a response by clicking the "Post A Comment" button on an item's page. We ask that our sellers respond to all product questions as soon as possible. All responses are public. Seller responses will also be emailed back to shoppers.
Out of respect for all of our lovely buyers and sellers, please refrain from posting any inappropriate or offensive comments. If you find a comment that you'd like to report, just click on the "flag" button next to the comment and we'll follow up. If you have a comment or issue you would like to take offline or that is not appropriate for all to see, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To better safeguard our marketplace we also ask that you do not use commenting to exchange contact information or attempt to facilitate sales outside of Chairish. As a rule, we restrict the exchange of, and will remove any comment which includes: an email address, physical address, phone number, URL, or any other information we deem inappropriate.
Chairish reserves the right to remove any user if we see repeated attempts to exchange contact information or facilitate sales outside of Chairish. The first time we see a seller attempt to exchange contact information or facilitate a sale outside of Chairish we will remind them of our policy and ask them not to exchange information again. The second time we will remove the seller's listings from the site for 1 week. The third time we will remove the seller and their listings from Chairish permanently.